We've moved our blog here! This page will be kept online as an archive for our decade of blog posts.
Met a stray cat that needs rescue? Go to our website to submit a Rescue Request
Want to adopt a cat from us? Here are the cats that are up for adoption!
Come volunteer to clean the foster space and play with kitties!
Wish to give to Love Kuching Project? Deposit to our DBS Current Account 027-907655-0 or find out other ways to give here


Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Evanger's Holistic Pheasant Dinner for Cats


I bought the cats a can of Evanger's cat food to try. It is a premium canned food, retailing at $4.88 at PLC (after members' 5% discount) for a 156g can. I bought the Holistic Pheasant formula.

On opening the can, my first impression was that there was a lot of moisture, and that it smells different from other kinds of poultry meat such as chicken and turkey. The taste test results were great - all the cats finished their food and even picky Sayang took to it eagerly (she normally approaches her dinner gingerly).

They also have chicken and seafood varieties; I decided against the rest because the cats have never tried pheasant before, and Slinky has a crab allergy so seafood is out. The pheasant formula is the most expensive, but it is the only formula that also has added fruits and vegetables, something which I like in our canned food. Pure meat formulas remind me of homemade food, which I might as well prepare myself. Their mackerel formula has pressure-cooked bones within, additional calcium, but my cats are not used to having bones in their food and I worry about choking, pressure-cooked or not, but it is apparently safe and actually very healthy too.

As I am currently reducing the cats' canned food consumption since they are growing up - now on alternate evenings instead of every dinner - we can afford slightly more premium brands of canned food, so I will probably buy this again some time, especially since Evo seems to have decommissioned its Singapore sales. Little Paws also carries Evanger's, the pheasant formula at $4.80 before discount, and we will probably pick it up from them next time - supporting small businesses is the way to go!