We've moved our blog here! This page will be kept online as an archive for our decade of blog posts.
Met a stray cat that needs rescue? Go to our website to submit a Rescue Request
Want to adopt a cat from us? Here are the cats that are up for adoption!
Come volunteer to clean the foster space and play with kitties!
Wish to give to Love Kuching Project? Deposit to our DBS Current Account 027-907655-0 or find out other ways to give here


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Aswat's Cat Treat Recipe 2

Edit: I did try this out eventually - just the salmon mousse, without the potatoes. I used 170gm of fresh salmon, including the skin. I boiled the salmon in water flavoured with a bit of apple and cranberry juice and a few rosemary leaves. Whisking the mousse to look like real mousse was tedious; I am no chef. After that, I tried it out on Sayang, our picky cat, and she loved it! But strangely, Slinky the greedy did not like it at all. I saved the rest in the fridge, and it solidified into a quiche-filling type of texture. Price-wise, I do feel that it is still costly (around $4-5), I think I am going to stick to Fish4Cats if the kitties ever want salmon.

Right, let us dig out another recipe from Aswat's cat recipe collection.

I am not able to try this one out as I don't have most of the ingredients, but if you do, give it a shot!

Salmon Mousse on Potato Fritters
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable stock
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 100gm salmon fillet
  • 2 tablespoons cat milk
  • 1 tablespoon plain yoghurt
  • 2 potatoes
  • 1/2 small onion (you can omit this if you don't like the idea of your cat eating onion, some cat recipe writers believe garlic and onion is toxic to cats)
  • A pinch of salt and grated nutmeg (nutmeg in small quantity should be safe, it may even provoke the same reaction as catnip)
  • 2-3 tablespoons oil
  • 1 tablespoon boiled peas
  • 1 egg
Method:
  1. Cook the salmon in the vegetable stock and set aside to cool.
  2. Whisk the salmon with cat milk and yoghurt to a creamy consistency to create the salmon mousse.
  3. Peel the potato (and onion, optional). Chop the potato into small pieces. Whisk in an egg and the peas, and season with nutmeg and salt. (You can boil the potatoes beforehand, this makes it easier to whisk).
  4. Shape the potato mixture into small pancakes. Fry till golden brown.
  5. When cool, place the salmon mousse on top of the potato pancakes and serve.
As for me, I might actually try to make the salmon mousse, without the potato. We love Fish4Cats Salmon Mousse but it is a little pricey. So I might make the salmon mousse using this recipe one day. As for the potato, I am skipping it because I am not a big fan of frying plus it takes some skill to make it well - kind of like the potato pancakes (rosti) at Marche. If you would like to try it though, try getting the processed ones that are already pre-cooked, just fry or pop it in the oven - it should be easier. Either way, if you do try this out, have fun!